The IU5 Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (CIA) staff is committed to providing services and support for LEAs in order to meet current and emerging needs associated with improving instructional practice, increasing student achievement, and promoting the growth of all learners. For more information regarding CIA, please call (814) 734-8458.
Pre-registration is required in order to receive any type of credit. Credits/hours will not be awarded to unregistered attendees/walk-ins. Participants are required to pre-register by the registration deadline, sign in to the session, fully participate, and stay for the entire session to be eligible for any hours or credits provided by the IU, including Act 48, Act 45/PIL, and paraprofessional hours.
Per the Pennsylvania Department of Education guidelines, if selecting an Academic Content Course, the course MUST be aligned with current position and certification in order to receive Act 48 hours. Teachers may take any Math, Reading, Leadership, or Administrative Course to obtain Act 48 Hours. Administrators must comply with the PIL requirements in order to receive Act 48 hours.
In order to receive credits/hours, registrants MUST:
- Register online for the session
- Have a valid PPID number listed in their profile. Click here to access your PPID Number (Act 48/Act45 PIL only).
- Sign the sign in sheet at the session or for virtual sessions, enter name and employer into chat box
- Participate in session activities
- Attend the entire session (see Attendance/Participation Procedure)
- Complete all class assignments at the proficient level
- Complete an online evaluation within 10 working days of the offering
The registration deadline for most* sessions is two business days prior to the session. For example, registration for a Wednesday session will close on Monday at midnight, and registration for a Monday session will close on Thursday at midnight. If a session is canceled, registrants will be notified via the email address listed in the registration system.
For virtual sessions, participants will be emailed a link to join the session upon successful registration through our registration system from firstname.lastname@example.org. The link will also be in the session reminder email. In order to best serve our participants (and for tracking purposes), please do not share links to virtual sessions.
*Some sessions will have an advertised early registration date due to the time needed to obtain materials.
- We expect all participants to comply with our procedure of 100% attendance for Act 48 hours.
- Partial hours will not be awarded.
- All participants must sign the sign-in sheet (for face-to-face sessions) or enter their full name and employer into the chat (for virtual sessions) to be marked attended and awarded any hours/credits.
Cancellation/Refund Procedure (if applicable)
- Over/Insufficient enrollment - 100% refund
- Up to registration deadline - 100% refund
- After registration deadline - 0% refund
NOTE: Sending someone in your place is not an option, nor does it free you from the cancellation policy.
No shows for any event will owe the entire fee, unless otherwise advertised. No credit or refunds will be given.
Events, Classes, and Meetings
IU5 offers events, classes, and meetings that may be eligible for Act 48, PIL (Act 45), or paraprofessional hours or credits.
On-site Professional Development
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment staff offer on-site professional development to schools in the tri-county area.
IU5 is a PDE-approved Act 48 provider. If you are interested in offering Act 48 hours for an event but are not a provider, you can apply to be a subcontractor for hours on a per-session basis. Requests must be received at least two weeks prior to the start date of the session.
If you have additional questions regarding professional development at the IU5, please contact us.
Anyone wishing to participate in a program at IU5 and requiring an accommodation for a disability as defined under ADA should contact Christine Carucci, Northwest Tri-County IU5, 252 Waterford Street, Edinboro, PA 16412 or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Weather Cancellation Procedure
Cancellation decisions will be made by 3:00 PM the day before the session and all participants will be emailed. You may call 814-734-5610, option 0 between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. to check on the status of a session. A course held at a site other than the IU will automatically be cancelled if the host school district has cancelled school due to inclement weather.