Pennsylvania School Law requires that all applicants for employment in public and private schools, employees of independent contractors seeking business with public and private schools, and student teacher candidates undergo background checks if they will have direct contact with students. The following three background checks are required:
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI)
Child Abuse Clearance:
The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance application can be submitted online. By selecting the link below, you will be directed to the Child Welfare Portal where you must create an account or log in with your existing credentials. Payment to obtain the Child Abuse Clearance is made via credit card. Your results will be given to you immediately through electronic transmission or by mail if your results cannot be processed at that time.
- Apply for the Child Abuse History Clearance online:
PA State Police Criminal History Clearance:
The Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance application can be submitted online. By selecting the link below, you will be directed to the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Portal, where you must create an account or log in with your existing credentials. Payment to obtain the Criminal History Clearance is made via credit card. When filling out the application, select the “School District” option for the reason for the request. Your results will be given to you immediately through electronic transmission
- Apply for the Criminal History Clearance online:
(FBI) Federal Criminal History Clearance:
The Federal Criminal History Record Clearance application can be submitted online, however, you will need to go to an approved Identogo location in Pennsylvania to have your fingerprints processed. By selecting the link below, you will be directed to the IdentogoWebsite, where you must first enter a service code. This service code must be provided to you by the agency/organization who is asking you to obtain your federal criminal history. Once on the site, you will create an account or log in with your existing credentials. Be sure to register under the Pennsylvania Department of Education if you are requesting this clearance for employment within a school district in Pennsylvania. You will need to bring your registration ID Number (UE Number) and photo identification for your request to be processed at the Identogo Site. You will be sent an unofficial copy of your record to the address the applicant submits during registration. You will provide your UE Number to your prospective employer so they can run an official Rap Sheet in regards to your federal background information.
- If you are an Education related organiation in Erie, Crawford or Warren counties, please see the Fingerprinting page on this site for guidance on how to schedule and apply for the Federal Criminal History Record Clearance. If you are not education related or outside of this service region, please go to IdentoGO at www.identogo.com to find a facility in which to obtain your FBI Clearance.